Virtual 4-H Volunteer Training May 30
Register Online: NC 4-H Virtual Volunteer Training
Cost: The conference is FREE and open to the first 400 North Carolina 4-H Volunteers who register.
Registration / Session Access: Participants must register online using the link above. Registration will close on Wednesday, May 27 at noon. On Friday, May 29, everyone registered will receive an email containing access information (online and via telephone) for all of the sessions.
Recorded Sessions: Each session will be recorded, and everyone registered will receive access to these sessions following the conclusion of the conference.
Accessibility: Accommodation requests related to a disability should be made by May 20, 2020 to Dr. Sarah Kotzian, 919- 515-8480, Sarah_Kotzian@ncsu.edu.
8:30 a.m. Welcome
- Dr. Mike Yoder, Associate Director; State Program Leader North Carolina 4-H, NC State Extension
9:00 a.m. Workshop Session 1 (Please Choose 1)
- Awards Opportunity, April Dillon, Area 4-H Agent
- 4-H Horse Program Updates and Ideas for Social Distance Meetings, Alaina Cross, Extension Associate – Equine Program and Lori Stroud, Extension Assistant – Horse Husbandry
- Virtual Avian Bowl, Dr. Mary Fosnaught, Extension Associate – Poultry Science
10:00 a.m. Workshop Session 2 (Please Choose 1)
- A Mindful Moment, Kenan Bridges, NC 4-H Healthy Living Coordinator – NC 4-H
- Best Practices and Helpful Hints for 4-H Presentation Videos, Dr. Shannon McCollum, Extension Associate – NC 4-H
- Pollinators, Liz Driscoll, 4-H Specialist – Crop and Soil Science, Entomology and Plant Pathology, and Horticultural Science
11:00 a.m. Lunchtime Learning Session
- Mr. Jones Loflin
12:30 p.m. Workshop Session 3 (Please Choose 1)
- Improv Public Speaking, Emily Worth, State 4-H Council President – NC 4-H and Leah Jackson, State 4-H Council Secretary/Treasurer – NC 4-H
- Vermicomposting, Peggie Lewis Joyce, Area 4-H Agent – NC 4-H
- Working With 4-H Youth in an Online Space, TBD
1:30 p.m. Closing Session
- Dr. Rich Bonanno, Associate Dean and Director, NC State Extension
Workshop Descriptions / Needed Supplies
4-H Horse Program Updates and Ideas for Social Distance Meetings
Learn about the virtual summer programming, including a virtual horse show, that the 4-H Horse Program will be conducting this summer, ask questions, and get ideas and support for keeping 4-H horse clubs engaged while practicing social distancing.
A Mindful Moment
Mindfulness is a practice of bringing attention to our “moment to moment” experiences. Take this moment to learn tips and tricks to help you stay calm and focused!
Participants will learn about the vast opportunities for district and state 4-H awards that all 4-H’ers can work towards throughout their 4-H career.
Best Practice & Helpful Hints for 4-H Presentation Videos
This session is designed to give 4-H Volunteers information that will be helpful as you are working with your 4-H’ers on recording their 4-H Presentation Videos. We will discuss the 2020 Presentation Competition, share tips to help with composing the videos, helpful ways to record and save the videos
Improv Public Speaking
In this session, participants will engage in a few improv activities that will sharpen and build public speaking skills. This will not only be fun for 4-H volunteers, but also useful as they help train 4-H’ers for confidence in presentations, quick and creative thinking skills and help prepare youth if they are interesting in running for a 4-H officer position. Come ready to have fun!
Explore the wondrous world of pollinators through dancing, racing, eating, planting and playing.
Explore the world of worms eating your garbage. This will be a demonstration on how to assemble a worm bin and keep it healthy.
Virtual Avian Bowl
Participants will experience a hands on introduction into a Virtual Avian Bowl. A mobile device with QuizBowl Systems app downloaded and a Zoom compatible computer are needed to participate in this session
Working With 4-H Youth in an Online Space
Together we will explore what it mean to work with 4-H youth in an online environment. Best practices as well as tips and tricks will be shared.